"Bekaert's contribution to the rescue of miners in Chile"
Prodinsa is a ropes specialist and a joint venture company of Bekaert.
Summary & download
The wire rope
- The rope used in the operation is an Izaflex rotation resistant rope, avoiding the capsule to turn during its hoist. This effect is achieved by stranding the inner wire layer in one direction and the outer layer in reverse direction.
- The wire rope is composed of 245 high carbon level wires, which allows a high traction resistance. Its diameter of 24 mm and 1 000 mts long makes the rope capable to hold up to 50 tons of load.
Capsule and terminal
The capsule was built by ASMA with a weight of 600 kgs, including the passenger. Considering the 2.3 tons of the wire rope weight, the whole system will wield a 3 tons force on the crane’s winch. Resulting on a 16 to 1 design factor.
Another important issue is to ensure that the link between the rope and the capsule will not be a weak spot. Prodinsa has supplied the hoisting operation, which was designed considering a CROSBY S421 socket of 1 inch, that guarantees the required breaking load of the assembly consisting of the end fitting and the wire rope.
On September 29 and 30, rescue engineers performed tests simulating the capsule in an alternative drill hole to prove that the mechanism, equipment, wire rope and link were functioning correctly. Prodinsa was present with its technicians along with 40 mts and the wedge socket used for the test.
Products & equipment
- The back-up wire rope used by Geotec for the hoisting of the capsule is a 1 000 mts, 24 mm Prodinsa Izaflex wire rope.
- Codelco developed a shower system for the mineworkers using Prodinsa’s wire ropes and clips.
- Petzl helmets and lamps used by the rescue team that will go in the mine are provided by Prodinsa.
- Prodinsa is a ropes specialist and a joint venture company of Bekaert.